Recipe created by Alexandre
Alexandre, author of the Lutsubook and writer of the blog www.lutsubo.com has given us his recipe for Mediterranean style aubergines, baked in tomato sauce .
Ingredients for 2 people:
2 aubergines, sliced
2 or 3 big tomatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, cut by half
1 scallion, chopped
150g of feta cheese (or vegan cheese)
1 pinch cumin powder
½ teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons of bread crumbs
A few leaves of basil
1. Cut the aubergines lengthwise in 0,5cm thick slices. Put them in a big bowl of salted water for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the garlic clove cut in half in a little olive oil. You don’t want it to burn. Add in chopped onion and scallion and sauté for 10 minutes stirring from time to time.
3. When the onions are translucent, add in the diced tomatoes, sugar, the cumin pinch, a generous amount of oregano (to taste) and half a glass of water. Add salt and pepper and simmer, with a lid ajar for at least 30 minutes.
4. While the tomato sauce is simmering, remove the aubergine slices from the water and dry them with paper towel. Then put them on a grill or in a pan with very little olive oil. Turn them several times to make sure they are tender and golden brown on both sides.
5. When everything is ready, put a little oil in an oven dish and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs. Pour half of the tomato sauce and half of the aubergines slices in a regular layer. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese and put the rest of the aubergines on top in a nice layer. Pour the rest of the sauce and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Add a splash or two of olive oil then bake (200°C) for 20 to 30 minutes, until the surface of the dish is nicely browned.
Serve hot or a little warm topped with fresh basil.
The recipe is presented in a bowl plate from the selection at Maison Sato.